Monday, February 18, 2013

Love and commands...

Week 8:

I John 5:1-5 1Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.  2This is how we know that we love the children of God:  by loving God and carrying out his commands.  3This is love for God:  to obey his commands.  And his commands are not burdensome, 4for everyone born of God has overcome the world.  This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.  5 Who is it that overcomes the world?  Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. 
 2John 6And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

John 14:15, 21, 23-24 15”If you love me, you will obey what I command”.  21”Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.  He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him” 23…”If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching.  My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.  24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching.  These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.




For the devotional thought this week, work through the following questions about this set of passages. 

1. Summarizing, what do these passages mean?

2. Based on the passages, is Jesus' love based upon merit? Why or why not?

3. Explain in your words how obedience ties to love.

4. Based on your observations of Christ-like people you know, what commands do you see these people obeying regularly?

5. What other passages come to mind as you read through these? List them.

6. How do those passages relate to this set of passages?

7. What is the relationship between loving Jesus and loving the Father?

8. How do we overcome the world?

9. How does this overcoming the world relate to love and obedience?

10. What does it mean that God and Jesus “will come to him and make our home with him?”  

11. In what ways will you tie love and commands together in your daily life this week?


I would love to hear your comments on how this passage struck you this week. Please comment and create some discussion around this devotional thought.

---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links. General purchases: Click on the Banner at the top of the blog. For a list of my favorites go to: http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20

No comments:

Post a Comment