Monday, November 7, 2011

Avoiding extremes...

Week 45:
Ecclesiastes 7:16-18 16Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—why destroy yourself?  17Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—why die before your time?  18It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.  The man who fears God will avoid all extremes (or will follow them both).
At first glance, this verse confuses me.  “Do not be overwicked”?  Is this saying I should have some wickedness in my life?  Is this saying I will have wickedness, just don’t overdo it?  The rest makes sense, do not be “overrighteous, overwise, a fool…”  But, “overwicked”? 
Verse 18 actually gives some clarity to this term.  “It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.”  To me, to be overwicked would be to have a wickedness or sin that I struggle with and hide.  This would be the sin that I dive into and refuse to give up to God for grace.  To not be overwicked, or to grasp the one, would be for me to admit that is my wickedness, my struggle.  I need to keep that sin out in front of me and give it to Jesus for grace.  To not let go of the other would be the righteousness and wisdom that I have.  I obviously want to avoid self-righteousness and a haughty spirit.  But I do not want to go to the other extreme and not recognize the goodness I possess.  It is God’s gift to me. 

I also need to look at this passage in its whole context.  Verse 15 Solomon recognizes that some wickedness goes unpunished and some righteousness goes unrecognized.  How many times have we seen this in our own lives?  So, a warning would be, when I see wickedness going unpunished, do not think that I can be overwicked and it go unpunished as well. 
Finally, verse 18b gives great advice.  “The man who fears God will avoid all extremes (or will follow them both).”  There are things in this world that many “religious” people would judge me for taking part.  However, I am reminded that the Apostle Paul said that everything is permissible, but not beneficial (I Corinthians 6:12).  I have to be careful that I do not become a Pharisee in my thought toward those who do not go to extremes but take part in what I think may be questionable.  If a man fears God, he will avoid the extremes and thus avoid the sin that follows the extremes.  When I think of extremes, I think of the obvious:  Drinking, sexual immorality, gossip, lying, etc.  Other extremes can take us from God as well…overeating, television, any hobby we find more important than our family, etc. 
This takes me back to the summary of the passage, verse 18.  “It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.  The man who fears God will avoid all extremes (or will follow them both).”  Moderation is the key…not a state of lukewarm mind you, but moderation.  The man who fears God will keep his sin in front of him where grace can be given and will also recognize the good in him where God can be praised.  What an encouraging thought.
Questions/challenges:
1.       In what area of your life would you consider yourself “overwicked”?
2.       In what area of your life would you consider yourself “overrighteous or overwise”?
3.       Explain in your words what avoiding all extremes looks like to you?
4.       Spend some time this week in silence and prayer asking Jesus to reveal an area of your life where you are in the “extreme”.  Ask him to come into that part of your life and give you some advice.  Then…listen and pay attention to what happens next.


---------------------------------------

Don't forget to visit my Amazon links.  General purchases:  Click on the Banner at the top of the blog.  For a list of my favorites go to:  http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20

No comments:

Post a Comment