Monday, February 25, 2013

From the darkness to the kingdom...

Week 9:

Colossians 1:13-14  13For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

Before salvation, we were living in darkness. I believe until we meet Jesus, we really do not realize that we were in darkness. I knew in that time for me that something was not right but I had not realized I was in darkness. How could I? It is what I knew, how I lived.

To be rescued from darkness, we must first realize we are in the darkness. For me, it came by being influenced by children of the kingdom of light (vs. 12). The people in my life who were Christ-followers were living a life of hope, peace, and joy that I realized I did not have. Now, their lives were and are not perfect. However, amidst any turmoil or darkness, these people would still have peace, hope, and a sense of joy in their lives.



Since moving, through Jesus, into the kingdom of light, I now have a different life. First of all, I have the same hope, peace and joy in my life. No matter how dark the storm has gotten, in the recesses of my heart and soul I have always known that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit was there and God’s greater purpose would prevail. I did not have that before my rescue.

Secondly, having the light of Jesus shine into my darkness allows me to discern better between darkness and light. I am assisted in this through the Law or the Word of God. To those living in darkness, the Bible has little to no meaning. There is no reference point for them to anchor their life. In fact, for some in the darkness, the Bible and its principles seem oppressive. I am also able to discern between darkness and light through the Holy Spirit living in me. My conscience and spirit that God weaved into my soul is now connected with His divine Holy Spirit. His Spirit nudges and prompts me when needed.

Thirdly, I have an audience with the king of the Kingdom of light…Jesus himself. Not only did he as king rescue me, I have access to him, his power, his love, and his forgiveness. In our world today, many of the CEOs and others who are in the position of authority and power are quite unapproachable and inaccessible. Many of these people in the powerful positions do not remember what it was like to be the regular employee or follower. Not so with Jesus. He is there, and he remembers being human before becoming king.  

Remember then, that you now are a child of the light. You are a subject in the kingdom of light and you have access to the king of that kingdom…Jesus. Now, show that light to others so that they too can have that access and can be rescued from their darkness.

Questions/challenges:

1. How does this passage land with you? Explain
2. Before Jesus, what were some of the clues for you that you were in the darkness?
3. How were you shown Jesus and by whom?
4. At what point in your life did you know or realize you were in darkness? What was the situation?
5. This week, reflect back on when you were in darkness and were rescued and brought into the kingdom of light. Notice how far you have come. Spend time in thankfulness for this rescue.

---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links. General purchases: Click on the Banner at the top of the blog. For a list of my favorites go to: http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20





No comments:

Post a Comment