Monday, January 28, 2013

Through Him...

Week 5:

John 1:3-4 3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men.

The idea that God would come down to earth in flesh as Jesus has been such an intricate mystery. There are so many different considerations surrounding God coming in the flesh that volumes have been written about Jesus’ both human and God presence. Jesus was so fully human and fully God that he understands both realms. This week, let’s briefly look at how he can relate to us according to this verse.

When I read this verse, I am reminded of day six of creation where God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness…” (Genesis 1:26) Jesus was a part of creation. Jesus knows how we were made. He knows the intention God has for us. And as in the John passage, verse 4 reads, he is the life and light of humankind.  


When we look at the life of Jesus and how he related to people, we see how he always had the right answer. He had compassion and love. He was able to meet people where they were. His truth was always right. It is so easy to fall back into a trap of thinking, “Of course he knew all of this. He was the Son of God.” Yes he was, and he was there in the beginning. He knows what we should be. Not only that, but he also came down and became one of us that he had a hand in creating.

Imagine this: I create things on occasion. Particularly when I was younger, I would draw pictures. What if I had the ability to become a drawn picture like I had made? This idea sounds somewhat “out there” doesn’t it? Yet, that is what Jesus did. Not only can Jesus relate to us because he became us, he became what he had a part in creating.  

This verse and the Genesis verse together for me play a huge role in helping me see the magnitude of what Jesus did for me. When I am stuck in a place where I see Jesus as a historical or “far off” figure, the reality of him becoming something he had a part in creating helps me to see Jesus as one who understands me. Jesus is my biggest fan. He knows the good in me. That good is from him, created in me. Just like my picture has a piece of my soul drawn into it, my being has a piece of Jesus’ soul placed within me. This makes Jesus so much more real for me. Not only through my savior am I created, he became like me to save me. WOW!

Questions/challenges:

1. In what ways has it been difficult for you to connect with Jesus?
2. How did this verse impact you when it comes to the idea that Jesus was there when God made humans?
3. Describe in your words how Jesus can be fully God and fully human.
4. This week, make note of those parts of you that you can see Jesus’ character written into your character.
5. Spend some time in silence this week and listen for Jesus’ to speak into your life. Write down what you hear.

---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links. General purchases: Click on the Banner at the top of the blog. For a list of my favorites go to: http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20

No comments:

Post a Comment