Monday, January 14, 2013

Stand back up...

Week 3:

Proverbs 24:16 For though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity.

This Proverb can apply to so many aspects of life. The theme of perseverance for the righteous stands out. Another theme can be what happens for the wicked. Yet another theme could be a righteous person’s life and sin vs. a wicked person’s life and sin. For this devotional thought, let’s look at the righteous and their sin.

As Christians, it is difficult to put the righteous and sin in the same proximity of each other. When I think of righteousness, I picture someone without sin. Yet, as we read through the Bible, we see the righteous wrestle with sin. I know a lot of righteous people. Though I do not witness their sin, they will refer to their sin. 


One of Satan’s most powerful lies is the deception that we can never be redeemed by God. Our sin and shame is just too much for God to handle. Satan plants these messages and we continue to replay them that we cannot ever leave our sin. Repeat sin especially weighs us down. Taking the deception further, I struggle to believe I am righteous because of sin in my life.

If I take a step back and look at the whole of my life, I realize that the whole of my life is not defined by my sin. However, I tend to focus on my past and the shame I carry from my sin. It is difficult to rest in the fact that Jesus died for all of those sins. Instead of focusing on what I am, a forgiven follower, I focus on my shame. As I listen to others’ stories, I hear the same theme in their lives as well.

We cannot be reminded enough that Jesus covers those sins. Obviously, we do not live without self-discipline and sin all we want so that grace may abound (as the Apostle Paul states in the book of Romans). When I took Christ as my savior, I became a new creation. That does not mean that I have stopped sinning instantly. I have the remnant of sin that as I grow in Christ becomes smaller and smaller. God is transforming me daily through Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  

Therefore, as a whole I am a righteous person who falls down (and so are you). However, because of the righteousness that has been manifested in my life in Christ, I get back up over and over again (and so do you). We are not defined by our sin; we are defined by our life in Christ, which is a righteous life. Praise God!
“For though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity.”

Questions/challenges:

1. In what ways has Satan’s lies kept you from believing this verse to be true about you?
2. As you reflect on your character, list some righteous characteristics you have. If you are having trouble with this list, then ask a friend to help you see those characteristics about you.
3. What are some verses that come to mind for you that point you toward your righteousness in Christ?
4. This week journal around your righteousness in Christ. Make note of the whole of your life and focus on the goodness that you carry as a gift of being created in the image of God.

---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links. General purchases: Click on the Banner at the top of the blog. For a list of my favorites go to: http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20

No comments:

Post a Comment