Monday, September 24, 2012

A dwelling...

Week 39:

Ephesians 2:22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

For the past few years I have been led to learn more about transformation. God has been transforming me since I first accepted Jesus as savior and was buried with him in Baptism. And, as I have walked in Him through the years; I have looked back and seen periods of growth. However, lately, I have really been aware of my transformation and watching the transformation of others.  

This passage is just another of those re-enforcing pieces of that walk through transformation for me. Looking at the context of this passage, I see that Paul is talking to Gentiles. That means me and most of the people I associate with. This passage is a partial reminder of what God is doing in my transformation process from the old me to the new creation He set in motion.

Notice that we are a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit. Without God dwelling in us both through his Spirit and in the form of Jesus his son; there is no transformation process. This passage shows me two things about the dwelling.



First, I am to build myself into a dwelling place for God and his Spirit. I am to be continually working on my heart and my actions to be a place for God to dwell. Many times, I feel that I am stuck where I am, stagnate. At times, that may be true. However, I find that when I reflect back on where I was and where I am now, I see that God has been doing transforming work in me; just not at the pace that I may like. The indwelling of his Spirit has carried me through to where I am now. One way I am able to see my progress leads me to the second part of the dwelling, community.

In this passage, Paul is talking to a group of Gentiles. In Christ, we “are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.” Community is important for transformation. Community holds us accountable, allows us to share, edifies, gives strength in numbers, comforts, sharpens, and allows for authentic Christ-like living. I would not be a transformed person had it not been for my community of believes. When we see the indwelling of the Spirit of God in others, it inspires us.

To continue the transformation process I must be continually working on myself and do so in a community of believers. In both places, I am building a dwelling place for the Spirit of God.

Questions/challenges:

1. In what ways have you been building your dwelling for God’s Spirit?
2. In what ways do you need to improve your dwelling?
3. How much of a factor has your community played in your transformation? Why or why not?
4. Do you need more community work or more personal work? Explain.
5. This week, spend some time in reflection about where you have been and where you are now. Make note of change made by your personal work as well as what your community has done for you.

---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links. General purchases: Click on the Banner at the top of the blog. For a list of my favorites go to:  http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20

No comments:

Post a Comment