Thursday, March 5, 2015

Connecting with the human side of Biblical characters...

Week 9:

Numbers 20:12 But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.”


Like many others, I have looked upon the characters of Biblical stories as super-human.  The humanity of these characters just doesn’t show up in a Sunday school class.  This is not what I saw on the flannel-board.  As I have matured spiritually, God has revealed the human side to these characters.

Moses is a great example for anyone to realize how a holy and righteous God works with a man or human.  As I read through and look at the life of Moses, I can see that he was flawed.  He made human decisions and human mistakes.  Seeing those actions, make my walk with God different in several ways.

·         I can question…  Moses asked questions of God that make most Church-people uncomfortable.  Moses asked God “Who am I” when God told Moses he would lead Israel.  Moses asked God to go with him in leading.  Moses asked God if He wanted other nations to look badly upon the chosen nation of Israel. 
·         I can doubt…  Al throughout the life of Moses I can see the doubt.  There were times he doubted God.  There were times he doubted the people.  Much of the time, he doubted himself.  Yet God stayed with him.
·         I can fail…  There were times Moses took things upon himself to do for God.  When that happened, it did not go as planned.  Yet God still blessed Moses.  In fact, the passage for this article references a time where Moses misused God’s power.  He paid by not entering the promise land.  Yet, he was still blessed by God all the way up until his promised consequence of death.

Moses is not the only example of human interaction with God.  Joseph had flaws and made mistakes.  David is probably the most noted of those who made mistakes and yet God blessed him.  Abraham told a half-truth and was impatient with waiting for a promised heir.  Isaac flat-out lied about his wife being his sister.  Jacob was a deceiver and a manipulator.  Elijah had an inferiority complex.  Peter was a hot-head.  The list can go on and one. 

I take great comfort in knowing that these men (and others) were imperfect instruments of God’s purpose.  It is also comforting to know that God looked upon the whole of each one’s character and heart and noted goodness.  That is how I want to be known by God.

Questions/challenges:

1.      Which Biblical character do you identify with and why?
2.      Whose flaws do you identify with the most? 
3.      In what areas of your life do you feel too flawed for God?
4.      This week, spend some time in silence and pay attention to where God speaks to your heart.  Pay attention to where He points out your goodness.  Write down your thoughts.

---------------------------------------
Click HERE to purchase Weekly Devotional Thoughts: Weekly Applications of God’s Word on Amazon Kindle and write a review.
---------------------------------------

Don't forget to visit my Amazon links.  General purchases:  Click on the Banner at the top of the blog.  For a list of my favorites go to:  http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20

No comments:

Post a Comment