John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
Last week we looked at grace and truth. Jesus lived and practiced both grace and truth. For us as Christians to be affective in reaching people with the Gospel, it takes a gracious relationship mixed with Biblical truth. They both work together. To understand deeper how to reach others with God’s truth, we must understand the barriers to truth.
The barrier of ignorance: I have heard it said, and find it a more true statement the older I become, “You don’t know what you don’t know.” This may be a person who has never been exposed to the truth about God, Jesus, and the kingdom. In more, detail, he/she may recognize the names of God and Jesus but have not reference point in his/her life to make a connection. I see this sometimes as I deal with another person around an issue and I use a Biblical story to illustrate what’s going on. I have to stop and give the whole story in order for it all to make sense and connect. The two best approaches here are love and teaching. Continue the loving relationship and teach where ever possible. Get a Bible in his/her hand and begin mentoring and disciple.
With these four barriers in mind, I must continue to understand those who do not see the truth. The fact of the matter is, I have experienced each of these barriers personally when truth different than I have understood has been presented to me. When I am faced with these barriers in the future, it would be good for me to keep in mind how I felt or reacted when I did not believe a truth at the outset.
1. Which of the four barriers have you been faced with lately when speaking truth?
2. In your own words, explain why it is so important to have a loving relationship with one you are speaking truth.
3. Describe the difficulty you have had speaking truth when encountering one of these barriers?
4. Does knowledge of these barriers open your eyes to some new avenues? How?
5. This week, pay attention to where any of these four barriers shows up. Ask God to give you strength, boldness, understanding, and wisdom as you encounter one or all of these barriers to truth.---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links. General purchases: Click on the Banner at the top of the blog. For a list of my favorites go to: http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20