Monday, October 22, 2012

Run together...

Week 43:

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us through off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

I notice that when I exercise alone I tend to lose focus and eventually quit exercising all together. When I have a partner exercising with me, I tend to stick with it. It seems that when taking on a task in community, the task seems to get done quicker and with more efficiency.

This is a great passage full of imagery of our life in Christ as a race that is to be run. Not only is it a race to be run (which races take training), it is a race that requires perseverance. Just taking that from this passage alone is edifying. However, something that stands out in this passage are the words “we” and “us”.  

This takes me back to having an exercise partner. I do much better when I know someone is working with me. I know that some training is done better alone, but for the most part when tasks are worked on in community it seems to just go better. I like to look at this Christian life as a team sport.

It takes my community of believers to help me through this race. I need their comfort. I need the accountability that my group offers. I need wisdom of the ones who have experienced the part of life I have yet to go through. I love knowing that I am not in this alone. That what I am experiencing, others are also.


Satan loves to make us think we are alone in this race for Christ. If he can make us think we are alone, we can become discouraged and eventually give up. We are in a race as a team…not competing with each other, but against Satan and his lies and schemes.  

Next time you are discouraged and thinking that you are running this race alone, find a community of believers. Share where you are in life. Compare notes. Use the strength of the community to help you build the stamina needed to persevere to the end.

Questions/challenges:

1. Describe a time when you have felt singled out and alone.
2. Describe a time where community helped you back into the race.
3. When you feel alone what is it for you that block’s you from being in community with other believers?
4. Spend time this week in prayer for those who are in community with you. Pray for their race and perseverance. If you do not have a community, pray for God to lead you to one.

---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links. General purchases: Click on the Banner at the top of the blog. For a list of my favorites go to:   http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20


No comments:

Post a Comment