Monday, July 9, 2012

Informed and prepared...


Week 28:

I Peter 1:14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.

As I grow older, I reflect back on so many situations in my life where I was walking in ignorance. Actions I took part in, what I listened to, what I watched, and even how I thought seemed harmless yet as I look back, I realize I was uninformed and unprepared. Wisdom comes at a price. Wisdom comes at the price of experience. While we hear Peter’s call to be obedient children, our eyes are opened to the evil desires and ignorance that we lived in before.

Here is a case in point for me. For the most part, I listen to Christian music these days and have for about 18 years. When I go back and listen to “oldies” like old rock or old pop music I hear lyrics that I never realized where there. So many popular rock songs were more blatant with a questionable message than I realized as a young man. Out of my ignorance, I never realized what was being said. I have actually linked some of my struggles with thought control back to some of the music I listened to when I was younger.

In the verses before and after this passage, Peter gives some instruction on how the avoid the evil desires from our ignorance. He talks about self-control, Hope in grace, Christ’s revelation, and holiness. I find it interesting that as I grow older and realize my ignorant past I grow more conservative, yet also have more grace at the same time. It’s like a two-edged sword. One the one hand, I do not have patience with the evil desires of ignorance. On the other hand, I have patience and grace with those who are in their ignorance and do not realize how their heart is being led.

 

How do we become informed and prepared? First, we need to strive to have a regular Bible study time. As I write this I think, “Oh great, more guilt for not reading my Bible more.” However, the reality of it is, if I want to be informed of what I am ignorant of, I must go to the source of knowledge and that is God’s word. Second, we must put ourselves in the company of those who are striving to better their walk with Christ…thus, holding us accountable to our integrity. Third, we must seek the counsel of the older generation. I find myself at times viewing them as those who have arrived and forget that they experienced the same types of evil desires of ignorance that I have. Finally, we must pay attention the where God is speaking. Notice that He is not only speaking through His word, but through prayer, sermons, discussion with friends, daily blessings, and circumstances.

Reflect and be aware this week of how far you have come from your youthful ignorance of the past. Thank God for revelation and ask for more.

“As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.”

Questions/challenges:

1. Upon reading this chapter, what are some markers of past ignorance that came up for you?
2. When or how (or both) did you realize you had acted out of ignorance? Explain the revelation.
3. Ask God this week to reveal to you some of the ways that you have become more holy in leaving some of your ignorant past. Write those down in the form of a blessing.
4. Write down and commit to one measurable way that you will become more informed and prepared. Take this one step further and have a discussion around this topic with someone in your life in order to have them hold you accountable to this commitment.

---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links. General purchases: Click on the Banner at the top of the blog. For a list of my favorites go to: http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20

No comments:

Post a Comment