Monday, March 12, 2012

Unchanged, unaffected...

Week 11:
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
For those who know me and have any correspondence with me know that this verse is the signature line for all my email addresses.  Needless to say, it is one of my favorite verses.  I could write many devotional thoughts off of this verse…for today I will focus on one.
No matter what is going on in the world, no matter how bad things may seem, no matter how corrupt a government may become, no matter what tragedies may happen, no matter what disasters may occur, Jesus is still king and in control.  Jesus is not surprised, his character is unaffected, and he is unchanged.  This is not to say that he is not compassionate, uncaring, and looks the other way.  It is to say that He reigns and will forever.  Jesus is my unmovable rock.

As we deal with the goings on in this world, we are caught up in the emotional power of the situation.  It is in our face and we cannot see anything but the situation.  Things can look bleak and hopeless.  It can look to us like the world is going to “hell in a hand basket”.  One thing we need to realize in those moments is that Jesus is still king and he is still sitting on the throne.  His reign is forever. 
Think for a moment the state of our country.  No matter which side of the aisle you pledge your allegiance to you have to admit that we are a country in a dilemma.  There is a great division between large parts of our country today.  Those of us who follow the Lord need to remember that we have a king to follow first. He is an unchanging king.  Jesus is not affected by governments or politics.  Jesus’ love, commands, teachings, and philosophy supersede any politics going on today, or in the future. 
To me, this is a great comfort.  This reminds me that all is not lost.  I should be concerned about the moral state of our country.  I should be aware of how my government treats and makes decisions as far as my faith goes.  But I have to be reminded that Jesus never changes and his teachings remain intact.  I serve a king and am part of a kingdom that will continue long after our country is gone, I am gone, and this world has passed away.  Jesus is eternal and he plans on taking us into that eternity with him some day.  Praise the Lord!
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Questions/challenges:
1.       What comes up for you when it is mentioned that Jesus is king?
2.       How do you think Jesus views the current state of our country?
3.       How does knowing Jesus is king bring you comfort?
4.       Ask Jesus to show you this week a part of his comfort according to his kingdom.
---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links.  General purchases:  Click on the Banner at the top of the blog.  For a list of my favorites go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment