Monday, January 9, 2012

What direction...

Week 2:
Psalm 143:8 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.  Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
As we begin the second week of this year long journey together, let us look at the way to start out the day.  The Psalmist begins with the morning.  As he awakes, he asks God for His unfailing love.  I am reminded to begin my day remembering that God loves me.  I trust in that, it is what needs to drive me.   I am reminded of His love by the blessings I receive from Him daily.  I have another day of life to live in His service.  I have a new day to start afresh. 
After acknowledging God’s love for me, His blessings, and the new day…I need to find a direction.  Like so many, I have daily routines and tasks ahead.  Most of my direction for the day seems already set in motion.  There is nothing wrong with this…I believe God is a God of routine and order.   But, what does he have in store for my “routine” day?  We need to ask ourselves, “God, what new do you have in store for me?  If nothing new, what am I to see from you today?  Whose life am I supposed to touch for you today?  Where do I glorify you today?  ‘Show me the way I should go.’”

Finally, “…for to you I lift up my soul.”  Each day I should re-dedicate my soul to the one who created it.  My soul belongs to God, the one who grants unfailing love and in whom I should trust.  How much easier it will be for me to know the way in which I should go if I am re-dedicating my soul to God daily.  I must stay connected to Him in order to understand my path and the tasks he has laid out for me to accomplish today.  Without that connection, I may deceive myself or be deceived in believing that what I am doing is for God.  I need to be connected to Him in my soul to know His direction.
Let his be your prayer each morning this week as you start your day.  “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.  Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.”
Questions/challenges:
1.       What was the first thing that came to mind for you as you read this Psalm?
2.       What thought have you given to the fact that your soul belongs to God?
3.       In what ways do you ask God for direction?  Has it been daily like the Psalmist implies?
4.       Each day this week, wake up a use this as your first prayer.  At the end of the day, write down or journal what God showed you that day. 
5.       At the end of the week, reflect back on how God worked in your life.
---------------------------------------
Don't forget to visit my Amazon links.  General purchases:  Click on the Banner at the top of the blog.  For a list of my favorites go to: 
http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20

No comments:

Post a Comment