Sunday, October 23, 2011

When God?...

Week 43:
Galatians 6:9 Let us not become weary of doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Do you ever catch yourself just wanting to give up on this “doing good” thing that the Christian walk asks of us?  I catch myself at times wondering when the harvest will be.  I know I should be taking part in doing the good because that is the right thing to do.  However, there are times that I get discouraged that I am not seeing the fruit of this effort. 
 

Of course at this point my mind wanders to phrases from various passages like in James, “…the testing of your faith develops perseverance”; or Isaiah, “…those who wait upon the Lord”.  Many others come to mind as well.  However, it just gets discouraging. 
Piggybacking off of last week’s devotional, I am reminded that God creates good works in advance for us to do.  Not only does God do that but He promises in today’s passage that, “…at the proper time” we will see the fruit of our efforts.
One thing I have to reflect upon is…why am I doing the good?  Am I doing this so that I may reap the harvest?  Am I doing good so that I may be recognized as a good man?  Am I fulfilling some affirmation I need in my life?  Is this about me and what I want or need?  What is my motivation?
Therein lays one of the key components to this passage.  What is my motivation?  If I am motivated to do good in order to take care of myself, I will become weary much faster.  I do not want to give off the impression that if we do the good purely for unselfish reasons that we will not grow weary in waiting to see the fruit of the labor.  However, I really believe that when I am doing the good for the right motive, God’s purposes, I have a peace that there will be a harvest.  And, the passage promises there will be a harvest.
What a comfort to know that God is faithful and that the good we do will not go without some sort of fruit and/or harvest.  Persevere and do not give up!  “Let us not become weary of doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

Questions/challenges:
1.       Describe a time when you have grown tired in the past of doing the good to seemingly no avail?
2.      What is it about the good you do without seeing the lack of harvest that discourages you?
3.      What were some of the first passages that came to mind when you read the Galatians passage?
4.      What are some things you can do to re-charge your energy toward doing the good?
5.      Was there anything else that you feel God was speaking to you about through this passage?  Explain.


---------------------------------------

Don't forget to visit my Amazon links.  General purchases:  Click on the Banner at the top of the blog.  For a list of my favorites go to:  http://astore.amazon.com/weekldevottho-20

No comments:

Post a Comment